Re: Opinion vs. belief

Two differences.

The belief attitudinal expr{sses an emotional attitude towards the main claim.
The opini]ion p marker pe'i is of the family of "evidentials" indicating
the reason whereby the speaker came to say the statement (as contrasted with
hearsay, logical conclusion, revelation from God, etc.)  So the metalingustic
information is different.

I also seem somedifference between the concept of belief and opinion.  I usually
form opinions after thinking something out, on some semi-rational basis.  I
can believe something without emotionally or ratioally analyzing it.  Thus
I beieve in God, but I would have trouble saying that I hold any opinions
about God, because I don;t feel I have information or mental cpaacity to
form an 'opinion'.

lojbab