Re: Text samples

Quoth Mark:

>Jabberwocky isn't the greatest of samples, though it is certainly something
>interesting, and I'd be interested in seeing translations of it.  Fact is,
>it's not a very good sample of English!  Doesn't prove much to me if you
>can make up "nonsense"/weird portmanteau words in your conlang!

Portmanteaux that are evocative of other words as effectively as in Jabberwocky?
It is too a great sample - too great, in fact, for an AL. I remember the stares
of incomprehension of Espists confronted with a Jabberwockish canto from Auld's
Infana Raso - actually no I don't, but I hear most are bewildered by it. The
acquisition of the poetic function of language by the entire community, as
opposed to an elite, may well be tested by how well a Jabberwocky-equivalent
goes over.

Oh, and the Esp Jabberwocky in the PLS is pretty poor, IMO.

Nick Nicholas, Melbourne Uni, Australia.  nsn@{munagin.ee|mullauna.cs}.mu.oz.au
"Despite millions of dollars of research, death continues to be this nation's
number one killer"  - Henry Gibson, Kentucky Fried Movie (love the last scene!)