Re: Buffer vowel and "y"

Hi
Now I am really confused!

>>For the sake of us linguistic weenies, could somebody cite some
>>common English (or French maybe) words that demonstrate this
>sound? >(It isn't French "deux" or German Goe"te is it?)
>
>No, it's the sound in French "tu" or "vu" (as in "dej'a vu").  I
>haven't found it to exist in American English, except in borrowings
>(I think it (or a sound much like it) is used in South African
>English).  It's sort of like putting your lips in position of "u"
>and the rest of your mouth in position for "i".

As an English speaking ex South African, I find no difference
between how I say (and am used to hearing) the "vu" in "dej'a vu"
and the 'oo' sound in "boo" or "boon" or "suit". This may well mean
that I am mis-pronouncing the French but it does not tell me what
sound we are discussing as a buffer!

Chris Handley                                     chandley@otago.ac.nz
Dept of Computer Science                       Ph     (+64) 3-479-8499
University of Otago                           Fax     (+64) 3-479-8577
Dunedin, NZ