Allophones of zero, continued

And Rosta <ucleaar%UCL.AC.UK@CUVMB.COLUMBIA.EDU> writes:

>Lojbab:

[text deleted]

>> There is one other facet in this - since Lojban speech is audio-visually
>> isomorphic, any 'real' sound would also appear in writing.  The buffer sound,
>> if audible, is not written.  There is no symbol for it - by definition it is
>> NOT a phoneme of the language.

>It may not be a lerfu, or the approximate Lojban equivalent of phoneme, but
>in no phonological theory is there being a graphical symbol for some
>sound a necessary and sufficient condition for that sound being a phoneme.
>In traditional phonemic analysis I guess the buffer vowel would tend to
>be analysed as a phoneme (which happens to be prone to deletion).

The catch is that in Lojban, _every_ grapheme has to correspond to a phoneme
in 1-1 correspondence. Even the punctuation is pronounced! I admit that it
makes for a weird language, and in LangX I get away from this in deference
to the behavior of normal languages, but Lojban has its own strange logic in
these regards.

                                                      Bruce