Re: your mail

la deiv. kortesis. cusku di'e

> >"du" will be added to the [gismu] list as a result of being
> > assigned the rafsi "dub" and "du'o"
>
> There already exists gismu dunli "equals" with rafsi dun and du'i,
> so there are now four rafsi that can be used to say "equals" in a
> lujvo.  This strikes me as excessive.  It is not clear to me that
> (a) the distinction between "du" and "dunli" is clear/important
> enough to be made in lujvo (b) assuming the distinction is
> clear in isolation, that a lujvo allows that kind of precision
> anyway.  Compare "dubvamji" to "dunvamji" ...

This was introduced for the purposes of MEX.  "dunli" has an x3 place
specifying the kind of equality that is meant: it handles cases like
"is equivalent to", "is (geometrically) congruent to", "is isomorphic to",
and "is (geometrically) similar to" by making appropriate lujvo to fill in
this x3 place.

"du" on the other hand is strict identity, with exactly two places.  Its
lujvo are things like "greater than or equal to" and the like.

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com         ...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
                e'osai ko sarji la lojban