Anglicizing/Gallicizing/lojbanizing

Colin Fine writes:

I wonder about these. In English we say "Novaya Zemlya", "Tokyo",
"Nizhni Novgorod" and "Ile de France", not "New Land", "Eastern
Capital", "Lower Newtown" and "French Island".

Well, as I said, even official Canadian publications use "Nouvelle-
E'cosse" and "I^le de (du? I forget which) Prince Edouard." And we
spoke of the USSR and not Soyuz Sotsialistichkikh Sovyet(forget the ending)
Raspubliki." We do say the forms quoted, but the Spanish say Nueva York and
the French say Nouvelle-Orle'ans, and we vacillate between saying Three Rivers
and Trois-Rivie`res for a city in Que`bec.

                                                  Bruce