Re: proposed extension to grammar

One of Colin's postings (quoted below) surprised me. It combines cmene
with restrictive modification.

If this is permitted, then a cmene is a selbri meaning "x1 is called
[cmene]". This sense can then be restrictively modified.

I had hitherto assumed that cmene are direct labels for individuals - that
cmene have referents but no senses. Another way of putting it: the
extension of a cmene is a single individual (or a named set), but not
a set of individuals each separately denoted by the cmene, although
a cmene may have several alternative extensions.

So, what is the case? Do cmene have senses? Does Lojban restrictive
modification mean something different from English restrictive mod.?

Colin wrote:

> I would like to suggest that relative phrases/clauses be permitted
> before the selbri of a description or name:
>         le pemi zdani
>         le po'u la kreml. dinju
>         le noi lemi rirme'i cu xabju ke'a [ko'u] zdani.

> The main use I have thought of for this is epithets and restrictions
> before names:
>
>         na'a pe la bakin,mcr la xodjez  "The Buckinghamshire Hodges"
>         na'a noi misno la ringos. star. "The famous Ringo Starr"
>         na'a poi nolraitru la xusEIn.   "King Hussein"
>
>         na'a nolraitru la xusEIn. "The Hussein who kings"
>         na'a kicmu la uotsn.
>         na'a misno la ringos. star. (restrictive: as opposed to all the
>                                         non-famous ones)
>         na'a nolraitru bero natmrbelgi'e la boduan "King of the Belgians
>                                                         Baudouin"

---
And.