Re: phonemes

Since the buffer is defined by convention to be a sound that is not found in]
LOjban's phonemic inventory, I see no reason why it cannot appear anywhere.
I don;t know why it WOULD appear somewhere else, except perhaps as another
kind of hesitation sound between words.

Remember that we define the buffer in terms of its appearing in consonant c
clusters, saying it is a non-Lojban sound.  We never say anywhere that non-
Lojban sounds have any meaning in any other part of a word - it is not relevant
to Lojban phonology, of course - nor is it relevant to a speaker - we teach
people what we want them to do, not the full range of things they could
possibly do.

lojbab