Re: proposed extension to grammar

la .and. rost. poi brito cusku di'e

> I had hitherto assumed that cmene are direct labels for individuals - that
> cmene have referents but no senses. Another way of putting it: the
> extension of a cmene is a single individual (or a named set), but not
> a set of individuals each separately denoted by the cmene, although
> a cmene may have several alternative extensions.

Restrictive modification is used to pick out which of the alternative referents
is wanted.  Thus:

        la .and. poi brito

restricts the meaning of "la .and." to one or more that are British.

Note also the difference between "la girz." and "lai girz." and "la'i girz.":

        "la girz." is something(s) named "Girz" (possibly a set, "girzu").
        "lai girz." is the mass of things named "Girz".
        "la'i girz." is the set of things named "Girz".

        lai djonz. klama le mi zdani
        The-mass-of-those-named "Jones" come-to my house.

means that some member(s) of the Jones family (or other group) came.

--
cowan@snark.thyrsus.com         ...!uunet!cbmvax!snark!cowan
                e'osai ko sarji la lojban