questionaire to potential and actual lojban students

The following are questions relating to our plans for the generation 1
Lojban books that will be published this year, with an expected current
life of up to 2 years before more sophisticated works are completed.  If
you are on Lojban List, I encourage you to read my rather long-winded
separate message detailing the background of some of these questions.
But if you don't have time or are only on conlang, just indicate so in
the first question so we know how to evaluate your answers.  We want
please respond.

0. (Yes/No) I have read the supporting message on Lojban List discussing
generation 1 book plans before answering these questions.

1. Regarding use of the generation 1 materials, presuming that
generation 2 will be done within 2 years, I would
likely buy (yes or no on each):

a. a lesson materials book (revised and updated lessons/exercises/examples)

b. a reference/dictionary (word lists, formal grammars, algorithms, glossary)

c. an explanatory language description (topical, not tutorial, discussions)

(Assume a list price of around $25 per book, but JL subscribers with
positive balances, major donors, and people who give us advanced prepaid
orders may get the books for $15 or $20, with the books coming out about
3 months apart.  The set of 3 books will encompass all information
currently available in our publications on the language, except for the
journals, software and accumulated Lojban text.)

2. Rate the following by priority - 1 is highest priority (feel free to
add in parallel-form priorities as applicable to your interest for this
and the following question):

a. Knowing the basics of the Lojban design to decide whether I want to learn it

b. Knowing enough design to understand/participate in technical discussions

c. Knowing the interesting features of the language as intellectual stimulation

d. Knowing enough to use the language myself

e. Knowing enough to design Lojban applications/perform research using Lojban

3. Subject to the relative rating above regarding actually using the
language, please rate the following by priority:

a. Being able to read basic texts written by others

b. Being able to read even complex texts translated from other cultures

c. Being able to express myself simply writing in Lojban (e.g. correspondence)

d. Being able to creatively author in Lojban (i.e. literary/technical/poetics)

e. Being able to translate from English/other languages into Lojban.

f. Being able to converse in Lojban

g. Being able to use/apply Lojban to a specific application  (Which?)

4. How would you view the way you expect that you would learn Lojban

a. intensively, mastering the vocabulary and the grammar as quickly as possible

b. slowly but steadily, working through books at my own pace

c. only in conjunction with a group study/class, and then at the group's pace

d. intermittently, probably not achieving my highest priority goal in #5
   within the next 2 years

5. How would you think that you would best grasp Lojban's design if studying it

a. taught tutorially, building slowly from the simplest forms to complex ones
   (textbook orientation)

b. grasping the 'big picture', and then filling in details as needed by studying
   sample texts and topical explanation (topical orientation - like many learn
   programming languages and computer systems)

c. self-teaching through studying texts, not necessarily with a 'big picture'
   first, but trying to learn by assimilating how people actually express
   themselves with topical explanations secondary (usage orientation - similar
   to standard foreign language education)

d. systematically working through the design to understand it analytically from
   systems documents

e. other (specify)

f. I have no idea (definitely a fair answer, but also indicate which of the
   above SOUNDS most attractive)

Thank you very much for your response.  Please send to me at
lojbab@grebyn.com as soon as possible.  Group discussion of the points
herein is welcome if anyone's interested.

----
lojbab = Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
         2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA
         703-385-0273
         lojbab@grebyn.com

For information about Lojban, please provide a snail-post address to me
via mail or phone.  We are funded solely by contributions, which are
encouraged for the purpose of defraying our costs, but are not mandatory.