Re: TECH: Two non-English based lujvo requests

mi'e .djan. kau,n.

.i la nitcion. cusku di'e

> 1. sensei/majstro
>
> "Etymologically, it means a person who was 'born earlier', but contemporary
> usage confines it to a person who is respectable for his capabilities,
> mainly in intellectual work. As a common noun it means primarily 'teacher'
> (as in *Sensei ni nari-ta-i* 'I want to be a teacher'), but as a title
> it covers not only teachers or professors but also authors, movie directors,
> artists, medical doctors, Diet representatives, and so on."

I propose "creselsi'a" = "cretu se sinma", a je-lujvo with place structure
c1=s2 s1 c2 c3, "x1 is a sensei to x2 in activity x3 by standard x4".

> 2. A closing phrase of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" caught my ears tonight;
> it was "Buy you a drink?" In Greek, we would use the verb "kern'w", which
> corresponds to the rare English verbs "regale" ("to entertain or refresh
> with a choice meal") and "treat" ("to give food, drink [or amusement] to;
> to pay the cost of a treat [or entertainment]). It's what you do when
> you offer someone sweets at your home (a time-honoured tradition), or
> when you buy them food or drink when going out. The latter meaning is
> also conveyed by the Australian "shout": "I'll shout you a meal"; "It's
> my shout" = "The drinks are on me".

A tough one, probably with several answers.  The one that comes to mind is
"tervendu'a" = "te vecnu dunda", with place structure d1=v3 d2=v2 d3 v1 v4,
"x1 buys and gives item x2 to recipient x3, bought from seller x4 at cost x5".
I'm sure there are better alternatives.

> Is the gismu {friti} by itself sufficient to do the job? (I strongly
> suspect it is, but wonder if there are any people out there who *aren't*
> lujvo minimalists like Mark Shoulson :)

Only if you get the {ve friti} right.  If this place can be filled in by
something in the lujvo, it would be satisfactory.  Otherwise I read it as
"contractual offer, bid".

--
John Cowan              sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now