Re: {cikre} as fat gismu

la xorxes cusku di'e

    Here's a fat verb-gismu: {cikre}. What's the rationale for x3 and x4?

    cikre              repair               'fix'
    x1 repairs/mends/fixes x2 for use x3 by user x4

Every repair that I have encountered in my life has been for some
purpose.  I have never met an unmotivated repair.  (I've seen repairs
that were not necessary for the object or institution `fixed', but
these repairs had uses: to make money for the repairer or to hurt
competitors.)  Likewise, fixes or repairs have an intended user.  They
must be!  There is no way to avoid making a repair for some user.  If
the work is not done for a user, it is not a repair, but some other
activity, such as art.

Also, as a practical matter, {te cikre} is a very useful expression,
since it defines what a rebuilt artifact is used for, which may be
different than its original purpose.  This will become more important
as recycling becomes more important.

    Robert J. Chassell               bob@gnu.ai.mit.edu
    Rattlesnake Mountain Road        bob@grackle.stockbridge.ma.us
    Stockbridge, MA 01262-0693 USA   (413) 298-4725