Re: Bus boys: two nations divided by a common language

Matthew Faupel writes:
> Never heard of "commis waiter" in my life I'm afraid - I'd have a better
> chance of understanding "bus boy" than that.
>
> JC:         job, n - "on the job" means, colloquially, engaged in sexual
> JC:         intercourse.
>
> I haven't heard this usage either.  "On the job" has meant what is says
> whenever I've heard it, e.g. "on the job training".  I'm sure that under
> certain circumstances this phrase could be a double-entendre, but then
> practically anything can be (q.v. Finbarr Saunders).

I assure John that he is reliably informed, but I think Matthew is
right about commis waiter - "bus boy" would be more common now, though
I've only ever heard the term used by my bus boy friends. John is
right about "on the job", but Matthew is right about "on the job
training", which means "training while engaged in work" and has
nothing to do with sex, though indeed Finbarr Saunders (kahu) would
think otherwise.

WHAT IS THIS THREAD DOING ON LOJBAN LIST?