Crosspost from comp.ai.nat-lang 1 of 2 - Comments???

The following is part 1 of 2:  postings about Lojban that have been on
comp.ai.nat-lang in the last few days

I would be interested in seeing anyone knowlegeable about NLP and
interested in Lojban post a reply directly and/or to Lojban List.  In
any case, I will collect and edit any responses to this posting into a
collective response for comp.ai.nat-lang (unless you indicate that you
do NOT want such reposting).

I may comment after others have had their say.

lojbab

|From: holmes@diamond.idbsu.edu (Randall Holmes)
|Subject: The artificial language Loglan
|Date: Fri Jun 17 16:18:06 EDT 1994
|
|Is anyone on this group familiar with the artificial language Loglan
|(either Institute Loglan (the official version) or Lojban (the pirate
|version); they are essentially the same, and I really have no animus
|against the other flavor)?
|
|This seems like a natural venue to find people who know about it or who
|might be interested in finding out about it.
|
|Loglan is an artificial language with a YACC-parsable grammar which is
|intended to be spoken by human beings (but is (since parsable) a
|possible means for communicating with machines).  Its grammar is based
|(not quite perfectly) on first-order predicate logic.  My impression is
|that it _is_ potentially a member of the genus "natural language" (my
|impression is that people can and it is claimed that some have learned
|to speak it); in fact, it is relatively easy to learn -- I know grammar
|my self but don't have the patience to master vocabulary (by the way,
|not only the grammar but the phonology is mechanically analyzable; one
|can divide a stream of sounds into words unambiguously!)
|
|It has moderately good software support; a parser (from the level of
|phonology up to the level of sentence structure) and an on-line
|dictionary.  The latter is a new product which makes life much easier.
|(This remark applies only to Loglan proper; I don't know what software
|support Lojban has, though I'm sure they have a parser; if some one
|knows and can tell me, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
|
|My goal here is to find out if anyone out there knows something about
|Loglan (and has an opinion on it) as an AI vehicle or a laboratory or
|model for natural language processing.  If someone doesn't know about it
|and is curious, I'd be willing to answer questions about it or direct
|you to other people who know about it.
|
|If there are some fellow Loglanists (or Lojbanists) out there, hi!
|--