Ongoing discussion with TLI rep on Loglan/Lojban and logic - 1 of 3

The following is part 1 of 3+ of my email exchange with TLI logician
Randall Holmes.  Since the discussion is ongoing, I will be cc'ing all
further traffic to Lojban List, and ask that anyone responding include
Holmes as an address in your response.  (There may be a part 3a which
will consist of any postings I exchange with Holmes between preparing
this message and posting it.)

The discussion started as a result of Holmes posting on
comp.ai.nat-lang, which I have reposted in a separate message.

The discussion has been ranging over several issues regarding logic and
Lojban, especially "me" and implicit quantifiers.  I am not the best person
to be discussing logic on behalf of LLG, and would welcome anyone else who
chooses to insert themselves into the discussion.

Note that messages from Holmes generally use examples in the TLI version
of the language, so the vocabulary won't scan, though "me" is the same
in both languages.  In general, translations of the examples are given
so it should be fairly easy to follow.  If not, feel free to ask for
elucidation.

This is the most friendly and detailed technical discussion we have had
with an 'official' from TLI, and the fact that it is happening is the
best thing that has happened in a long time in our inter-organizational
relations.

lojbab

|----
> [...]
|
|I'm not sure that there is any particular reason to keep the DARPA
|proposal secret, especially since we published it in one of our issues
|of Ju'i Lobypli.  There is still some paranoia here about TLI, and it
|wasn;t helped by Wesley Parsons' suggesting that TLI might find it
|legally offensive for us to publish a list of correspondences between
|TLI's prim list and ours.  He never came back to us with a clear answer,
|and we thus have had to take a view that he/JCB may be waiting for us to
|publish something just hoping that we will do something TLI can sue us
|for.  I've had enough to do with lawyers that I can;t trust TLI until
|that goal is explicitly disavowed, and we start talking again.
|
|It also isn;t clear that the DARPA proposal has all that much technical
|content - it was after all a pre-proposal, and wasn;t fully developed
|since we were under time and page count constraints.  We do intend to
|follow up on it at some point after we get books published.
|
|pc is still involved in the project (indeed he is VP of our org.) but
|his activity has been low since he is not on-line.  Or at least he
|wasn;t last I heard.  UMSL has been in the process of connecting to the
|net for 3 years now.  The whole campus is connmected, and he has had an
|email address for a year, but mail doesn;t get to him, nor has he ever
|managed to mail out to us.  When he does, I suspect that his involvement
|will become more significant.  We do consult with him by phone on issues
|related to logic and tense.
|
|I don't know if he is interested in the kind of thing you are talking
|about, but I can ask him, and perhaps he can communicate with you
|directly if he is interested.  Give me address/phone and I'll relay it
|to him.
|
|While I agree with you that there isn;t a lot of point in working with
|both versions of the language, I of course believe that you are missing
|out on some truly interesting technical developments (and we are missing
|out on your expertise).  I think that the nature of our work has led to
|us tackling a lot trickier logical issues than TLI has gotten to, and
|we've had to deal with them in some fairly sophisticated ways at times.
|(My favorite bugaboo is the English words "only" and "just" which don't
|go over into Lojban exceptionally well, because the English meanings
|turn out to often have multiple logical implications depending on the
|context.)
|
|But the level of our discussions is such that you might find it hard to
|follow the discussions without knowing more of our version of the
|language (not least because a couple of the people who get involved in
|the discussions try to write in-language, but in any case, much is made
|of particular examples andwe don;t so often rely on English translations
|of the Lojban to make clear what the examples mean.)
|
|The papers in John Cowan's reference grammar, on the ftp site in the
|"refgrammar" subdirectory will contain a lot of hints at our technical