Re: PROPOSAL: Lambda Notation For Dummies (and & Rosta) & Lojban

Hu'tegh! nuq ja' Jorge Llambias jay'?

=> This proposal involves creating an explicit "lambda quantifier", which would
=> formally belong to selma'o PA but would be attached only to da-series KOhA
=> or BY cmavo.

=Any reason why this is preferred to a simple KOhA?
=Also, it would be nice if we could just use {ke'a} for it. Its function is
=very similar, and the problems that might arise in rare cases of embedding
=arise already anyway as it is, so in theory subscripts have to be used.
=(In practice I don't think this is needed enough to be a problem.)

I share Jorge's concern. What we have is three phenomena --- indirect
questions, relative clauses, and properties specific to a given argument ---
with three different ways of marking them. If linguistic/philosophical
scholarship shows we can coalesce any of these, I think we should. And since
my thesis doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast, I'm off to the library...

--
 Nick Nicholas. Melbourne University, Aus. nsn@speech.language.unimelb.edu.au