Re: Limited vocabulary: an experiment

>Since conlang doesn't have a proper archive, could you send me the list of
>bird names?  I assume that you have entries that aren't in your posting
>(if not, I'll parse the posting by hand, which is more painful).  Most of the
>Basic words have Lojban equivalents, and it would make a good source of
>Lojban compounds.

>If you have the Linnaean names as well, that would be especially useful,
>since non-English-speaking people would have difficulties looking up the
>birds by their English trivial names.

>Thanks.

>--
>John Cowan              sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
>                e'osai ko sarji la lojban.

Here's the list.  Many of these names wouldn't be suitable for Lojban
compounds, since they're mostly based on English, and some of them are poorly
defined in English.  Also, they're influenced by the words available in Basic
English, and I probably would have made different choices based on Lojban
vocabulary.  (Umbrellabird is a good example; I only used it because it's an
English name that translates directly into Basic without any changes.)  But
you're welcome to use any of these that fit the Lojban guidelines.

The Latin names are from Monroe and Sibley's 1993 checklist.

across-mouth	crossbill (Loxia)
ant-bird	antbird (Thamnophilidae, Formicariidae)
arch-bird	bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchidae)
band-neck	plover (Charadriinae)
bee-bird	bee-eater (Meropidae)
bee-wax-bird	honeyguide (Indicatoridae)
bell-bird	bellbird (Procnias)
bent-mouth	wrybill (Anarhynchus frontalis)
berry-bird	berrypecker (Melanocharis)
black white-bird	black swan (Cygnus atratus)
black-bird	blackbird (various, e.g. Turdus merula, Agelaius, Euphagus)
black-hat	blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)
black-throat brown-bird	black-throated sparrow (Amphispiza bilineata)
blue-bird	bluebird (Sialia)
blue-throat	bluethroat (Luscinia svecica)
brown-bird	sparrow (various, e.g. Passer, Melospiza, Ammodramus, Spizella)
brown-bird sharp-eye	sparrowhawk (various species of Accipiter, e.g. Accipiter nisus)
brown-side small-bird	chestnut-sided warbler (Dendroica pensylvanica)
cat-bird	catbird (various, e.g. Ailuroedus, Dumetella)
chief-bird	kingbird (Tyrannus)
chief-fish-bird	kingfisher (Alcedinidae, Halcyonidae, Cerylidae)
common noise-bird	common grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)
copy-bird	mockingbird (Mimini)
cow-bird	cowbird (Molothrus, Scaphidura)
curve-neck	heron (Ardeidae)
dark-eye snow-bird	dark-eyed junco (Junco hyemalis)
death-bird	vulture (various, e.g. Gyps, Aegypius, Coragyps, Cathartes)
down-walk-bird	nuthatch (Sitta)
false-eye-bird	peacock (Pavo)
false sun-bird	false sunbird, asity (Philepittidae)
feather-head	hoopoe (Upupa)
fire-bird	flamingo (Phoenicopterus)
flower-bird	flowerpiercer (Diglossa, Diglossopis)
fly-bird	flycatcher (various, esp. Tyrannidae, Monarchini, Muscicapini)
fork-tail	swallow (Hirundinidae)
gold-top	goldcrest (Regulus regulus)
gold-top small-chief	golden-crowned kinglet (Regulus satrapa)
gold-side small-bird	golden-cheeked warbler (Dendroica chrysoparia)
gold-wing small-bird	golden-winged warbler (Vermivora chrysoptera)
great-mouth	toucan (Ramphastinae)
great-tail noise-bird	great-tailed grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus)
green-head	mallard (Anas phatyrhynchos)
grey-bird	gnatcatcher (Polioptilinae)
hammer-head	hamerkop (Scopus umbretta)
hook-nose	eagle (various, e.g. Haliaeetus, Morphnus, Aquila, Hieraaetus)
horn long-toe	horned lark (Eremophila alpestris)
horn-nose	hornbill (Bucerotidae, Bucorvidae)
ice-bird	penguin (Spheniscidae)
jewel-bird	hummingbird (Trochilidae)
long-leg	stilt (Recurvirostrini)
long-neck	crane (Gruidae)
long-tail	magpie (various, e.g. Pica pica, Gymnorhina tibicen)
long-toe	lark (Alaudidae)
love-bird	lovebird (Agapornis)
music-bird	lyrebird (Menura)
needle-tail	needletail (Hirundapus)
night-bird	nightjar (Caprimulgidae)
night-song-bird	nightingale (Luscinia megarhynchos)
noise-bird	grackle (Quiscalus)
north no-face-hair small-chief-bird	northern beardless-tyrannulet (Camptostoma imberbe)
north rough-wing fork-tail	northern rough-winged swallow (Stelgidopteryx serripennis)
not-fly-bird	ostrich (Struthio camelus)
nut-bird	nutcracker (Nucifraga)
oil-bird	oilbird (Steatornis caripensis)
oven-bird	ovenbird (Furnariidae)
paint-bird	painted bunting (Passerina ciris)
peace-bird	dove (Columbidae)
plant-cut-bird	plantcutter (Phytotoma)
pocket-mouth	pelican (Pelecanus)
point-head	bulbul (Pycnonotidae)
quiet white-bird	mute swan (Cygnus olor)
rail-bird	rail (Rallidae)
rat-bird	mousebird (Coliidae)
red across-mouth	red crossbill (Loxia curvirostra)
red fly-bird	vermilion flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus)
red-bird	tanager (Thraupini)
red-chest	robin (various, e.g. Petroica, Turdus migratorius, Erithacus)
red-head	redhead (Aythya americana)
red-top small-chief	ruby-crowned kinglet (Regulus calendula)
red-wing	redwing (Turdus iliacus)
red-wing black-bird	red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)
rice-bird	bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)
river-bird	dipper (Cinclus)
road-run-bird	roadrunner (Geococcyx)
roll-bird	roller (Coraciidae)
sand-pipe-bird	sandpiper (Scolopacidae)
scissors-tail fly-bird	scissor-tailed flycatcher (Tyrannus forficata)
sea-bird	gull (Laridae)
secretary-bird	secretarybird (Sagittarius serpentarius)
seed-bird	seedeater (Sporophila)
sharp-eye	hawk (various, e.g. Accipiter, Leucopternis, Parabuteo, Buteo)
sharp-mouth	sharpbill (Oxyruncus cristatus)
sharp-tail brown-bird	sharp-tailed sparrow (Ammodramus caudacutus)
ship-bird	frigatebird (Fregata)
shoe-mouth	shoebill (Balaeniceps rex)
short-leg	swift (Apodidae)
short-wing	wren (Troglodytinae)
sky-bird	skylark (Alauda)
small-bird	warbler (various, esp. Cisticolidae, Sylviidae, Parulini)
small-chief	kinglet (Regulus)
snake-bird	anhinga (Anhinga)
sneeze-bird	Couchs kingbird (Tyrannus couchii)
snow-bird	junco (Junco)
song brown-bird	song sparrow (Melospiza melodia)
spade-mouth	spadebill (Platyrinchus)
spoon-mouth	spoonbill (Platalea, Ajaia)
star-bird	starling (Sturnini)
stitch-bird	weaver (Ploceinae)
summer red-bird	summer tanager (Piranga rubra)
sun-bird	sunbird (Nectariniini)
turn-stone	turnstone (Arenaria)
umbrella-bird	umbrellabird (Cephalopterus)
voice-bird	parrot (Psittacidae)
wall-bird	wallcreeper (Tichodroma muraria)
water-fowl	duck (Anatidae)
wax-nose	waxbill (Estrilda)
wax-wing	waxwing (Bombycilla)
whip-bird	whipbird (Androphobus, Psophodes)
whistle-bird	oriole (Icterus)
white-bird	swan (Cygnus)
white-eye	white-eye (Zosteropidae)
white-throat	whitethroat (various species of Sylvia, e.g. Sylvia communis)
wide-mouth	broadbill (Eurylaimidae)
wise-bird	owl (Tytonidae, Strigidae)
wood-bird	woodpecker (Picidae)
worm-bird	thrush (Turdinae)
yellow small-bird	yellow warbler (Dendroica petechia)
yellow-back small-bird	yellow-rumped warbler (Dendroica coronata)
yellow-eye snow-bird	yellow-eyed junco (Junco phaeonotus)
yellow-hammer	yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella)
yellow-head	verdin (Auriparus flaviceps)
yellow-head black-bird	yellow-headed blackbird (Xanthocephalus xanthocephalus)
yellow-leg	yellowlegs (Tringa melanoleuca, Tringa flavipes)
yellow-throat	yellowthroat (Geothlypis)