Re: Gricean formula?

Kris:
> pc:
> >> (indeed, mentioning trying usually suggests -- not so
> >> Griceanly -- the failing).
> and:
> >The only way in which "try" implies "fail" is 'Gricean'.
> zoi gy. Grice gy. mo?

Philosopher responsible for the influential idea that
utterance interpretation is a product of literal sentence
meaning and very general principles that apply to
communication in general, and not to any specific language.
[It may seem an obvious idea, but if you read linguistics from
pre 1970s you realize that at the time it wasn't.] He had more
to say than this, and more specific proposals, but this, I
take it, is roughly what we mean by 'Gricean'.

> .i pau gy. kukte se stasu xu?

No. Or at least such a meaning is not in the least what was
intended. I feel confident pc wd concur.

> .ija pau mi gy. ka'e pilno lenu lo karce co'a minra xu?

Not this either, even though I've no idea what {lo karce
coha minra} is.

> .ija pau rinka lenu le denci cu blabi xu?

No.

> .iku'i na vajni vau .i ko mrilu pa bakfu be la gric. mi
> ba'e ca .au

I hope you're not disappointed.

> ni'oni'o mi ba'o tcidu lei datni be la guaspis noi drata
> selfinti bangu .i la guaspis cu se dzena la lojban. joi la
> loglan. gi'e mutce cinri .i lei datni cu se stuzi zoi by.
> http://www.math.ucla.edu/%jimc by. .i zasti fa le cinri
> nuncasnu be fi le nunsmuni be lei bridi be'o be'o noi mi
> jinvi ledu'u la xorxes. joi la .and. cu lakne se cinri

How about reporting on what jimc says? If not on Lojban list,
then on, say, Conlang - though perhaps matters perinent to
"generic loglan" might not be out of place on this list.

---
And