Re: <xoi> and fuzzy roses (fwd)

> here. I asked her how the American Rose Society rates roses, which they
> apparently do for breeding purposes, competitions, and the like. Her reply:
> >Rather interesting ... far ahead of anything I do, however.

You asked her how the American Rose Society rated roses -- NOT how they
rated the beauty of those roses.  The ARS rates the roses on their
openness (openness = how far the flower has opened -- openness does not =
beauty).  The ARS rates roses on intensity of color (intensity of color =
reflects a particular wavelength of light -- intensity of color does not
= beauty).  The ARS rates roses on the length and straightness of the
stem (length and straightness of the stem are physical measurements, but
I would opine that there are plenty of long straight objects which are
not beautiful -- so length and straightness does not = beauty).  The ARS
rates roses on the size of the blossom (size is another physical
measurement, but ensuring that an object is a certain size does not
guarantee that said object will be beautiful).

The ratings prove that these roses possess the aforementioned
characteristics, but say nothing about the beauty or lack of beauty of the
roses -- the rater makes a value judgment, based on criteria -- what these
ratings say are "this rose has a 20" stem, and a 3" diameter blossom,
etc."  It is up to the person doing the rating to make a value judgment
and say "I believe that roses with 20" stems and 3" blossoms are
beautiful" -- only after this judgment has been made can the speaker then
go on to say "therefore, these roses are beautiful."

To assume that this process is objective is logically fallacious -- the
writer reasons as follows:

1) I see an object and decide that it is beautiful.
2) I measure, quantitatively, certain characteristics of that object.
3) I decide that all other objects which possess the same
characteristics, in the same amounts, are also beautiful.
4) Therefore beauty is quantifiable in an objective way.

The flawed premise is #1 -- the writer's judgment that an object is
beautiful is completely subjective and arbitrary.  The roses which meet
his criteria are beautiful to him, but the decision that these
measurements are the consituents of beauty is also completely subjective
and arbitrary.  You can apply numbers to anything -- but if you apply
them in an arbitrary way, as was done here, then the conclusion you draw
from them will be just as arbitrary.

Bon
|)(|

Bon                                             skeevers@netcom.com