Bernard J. Ortcutt

mi pu cusku di'e

>         Ralph believes that Ortcutt is a spy (transparent)
> and
>         Ralph believes that Ortcutt is no spy (opaque)

la pycyn. cusku di'e

> Gee, I would have labelled them just the opposite in the context. I
> can pull the "Orcutt" out to the front of the second without Ralph
> protesting at all.  But Ralph -- before he is enlightened -- would
> surely protest to pulling out the first, indeed, would protest to the
> first altogether.

What you say is right as far as it goes; however, the point is not what
Ralph is disposed to assent to, but what is true.  The first claim is
true, and any expression synonymous with "Ortcutt" may be substituted
for it; the second claim is true only if "Ortcutt" is understood to be
opaque or semi-opaque ("pillar of the community" would do as a substitute,
but not "man sneaking around on the beach", e.g.).

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.