TECH: PROPOSED GRAMMAR CHANGE 2$i

CHANGE 40

CURRENT LANGUAGE:

geks can be used to join two independent levels, sentence-40 and bridi-tail-50.
The former corresponds roughly to afterthought ijeks, the latter exactly
to afterthought giheks.

There is a limitation in gekked sentences: the first sentence must have
at least one term before the selbri, or the construct will look like a
gekked bridi-tail.

PROPOSED CHANGE:

Unify the two types of geks as follows:  unrestricted sentences (including
bare bridi-tails) can be gekked, and the result has the grammar of a
bridi-tail.  This allows currently forbidden sentences like:

1)	gonai catra la djonz. gi la djonz. catra
	Either the-obvious-one killed Jones or Jones killed the-obvious-one.

which currently is excluded because it garden-paths the parser into expecting
a mere bridi-tail after "gi".

We also get a new sentence type consisting of a gekked sentence with joint
head-terms:

2)	mi [cu] ge le zarci cu klama gi le rilti cu dansu
	I both to-the office go and to-the rhythm dance.

Example 2 parses because the gekked sentence functions as the equivalent
of a bridi-tail and can be preceded by head-terms and an optional "cu".

RATIONALE:

The arbitrary restriction on gekked sentences is lifted.   Since bridi-tail-50
has fundamentally the same semantics as sentence-40 (not all bare bridi-tails
are semantic observatives; some full sentences with head-terms are in fact
semantic observatives), logical connectives between the two are naturally
unifiable.

This change is a pure extension: everything sayable before is still sayable.

3c3
<      THIS DRAFT ALSO INCORPORATES CHANGE PROPOSALS 1-39 DATED 6 JANUARY 1996
---
>      THIS DRAFT ALSO INCORPORATES CHANGE PROPOSALS 1-40 DATED 6 JANUARY 1996
19c19
<   grammar.239
---
>   grammar.240
504,512c504
<                         |  sentence_A_41
<                         ;
<
< sentence_A_41           :  GEK_807  sentence_A_41  GIK_816  sentence_40
<                         |  prenex_30  sentence_40
<                         |  statement_42
<                         ;
<
< statement_42            :  terms_80  front_gap_451  bridi_tail_50
---
>                         |  terms_80  front_gap_451  bridi_tail_50
513a506
>                         |  prenex_30  sentence_40
532c525
< bridi_tail_C_53         :  gek_bridi_tail_54
---
> bridi_tail_C_53         :  gek_sentence_54
536c529
< gek_bridi_tail_54       :  GEK_807  bridi_tail_50  GIK_816  bridi_tail_50
---
> gek_sentence_54         :  GEK_807  sentence_40  GIK_816  sentence_40
538,539c531,532
<                         |  tag_491  KE_551  gek_bridi_tail_54  KEhE_gap_466
<                         |  NA_445  gek_bridi_tail_54
---