Re: may the wind....

>I disagree, however, with those who argue that we should translate it
>as if it were something less "figurative", like "may you always be
>assisted in your endeavors" (ick).

Another solution might be to say something like:
"May circumstances always assist you like a tailwind assists a
ship".  Not pretty in itself, but if you were trying
to communicate with someone who wouldn't understand the metaphor, it
might be better than leaving them at sea with an incomprehensible
metaphor, or high and dry with a non-figurative statement.

chris