Re: MUD/MUSH/MOO?

Nick Summers <nsummers@hutch.com.au> wrote:

>Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
>
>> I would prefer a MUD...
>
>> There used to be a Lojban room on MediaMOO..
>
>> ...Lojban environment, but a MUSH...
>
>I'm sorry, forgive my ignorance. What the hell are we talking about
>here? MUD? MOO? MUSH?

MUD   Multi-User Dimension
MOO   MUD Object-Oriented
MUSH  Multi-User Shared Hallucination

The names don't tell you much, do they? Shall we try to Lojbanize them?

All three of these varieties started out as servers which accept multiple
simultaneous telnet logins for players of cooperative and competitive
role-playing adventure games. Many use the Dungeons & Dragons model, while
others have different settings and purposes. M*s are also used as chat
centers and in educational simulations.

I'm working with Zugg (Mike Potter), author of the highly regarded zMUD
client, on a project, and I have been following the development of the
MUD++ server. We could probably talk to Mike about a Lojban translation of
zMUD, and we could certainly set up a MUD which allowed the user to see
either Lojban or English descriptions and help files, and used both Lojban
and English commands. The Internet Go Server, which is not a MUD, provides
English, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese user interfaces.

--
Edward Cherlin     cherlin@newbie.net     Everything should be made
Vice President     Ask. Someone knows.       as simple as possible,