Re: CPE: Corliss Lamont

> There are two main types of lujvo: Those where the
> modifier component fills a slot of the main component,
> and those where the two components act jointly. For
> example:
>
> tsudegji [rotsu degji] d1=r1 d2
>                        x1 is a thumb (thick-finger) of x2.
>
> degro'u [degji rotsu] r1=d1 d2
>                       x1 is a thumb (finger-thick) of x2.
>
> In this case, both orders are equivalent, because both words
> describe the same oject, something that is both thick and a
> finger. {rotsu je degji}.

I don't think that works at all.  Even though neither "thick"
nor "finger" fills a place of the other here, there should be
no question that tsudegji is a kind of finger, and degro'u is
a kind of thickness--perhaps one could describe a branch as
being finger-thick.  Surely one should not abandon the basic
rule that a tanru is a kind of (its tertau)?

> In other lujvo (the majority, I think) the modifier
> component fills a slot of the main component. For example:
>
> rirnybu'a [rirni bruna]: b1 (b2=r1) r2
>                         x1 is the uncle (brother of parent) of x2.
>
> Here of course the lujvo is not reversible.
>
> There are some cases, like {ji'ervi'o}, where it seems at first
> that both expansions can be made: something that is permanent
> in being alive, or the symetrical one, something that is both alive
> and permanent. But this latter form I find kind of twisted, ...

Again, I don't see that.  Either it's a permanent kind of living,
if it's the living you want to emphasize in the structure; or it's
a living kind of permanence, if you want to emphasize the latter.
I don't think "alive and permanent" is really an option unless you
want to say so explicitly with a connective.  In this case, I think
either one works fine.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>  <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,