Re: CPE: Corliss Lamont

> > I don't think that works at all.  Even though neither "thick"
> > nor "finger" fills a place of the other here, there should be
> > no question that tsudegji is a kind of finger, and degro'u is
> > a kind of thickness--perhaps one could describe a branch as
> > being finger-thick.  Surely one should not abandon the basic
> > rule that a tanru is a kind of (its tertau)?
>
> This invocation of the "basic rule" is superficially correct,
> but actually conceals a deep flaw (one that most English-speakers
> tend to make from time to time): "rotsu" as a noun does not mean
> "thickness", but "thick thing".  Being a "finger" is no more
> fundamental in Lojban than being a "thick thing".

Of course.  Thanks for the reminder.  So a "degro'u" is a fingerish
kind of thick thing, whereas "tsudegji" is a thick kind of finger.
Either works for thumb, then, I agree, but I'm still not quite sure I
would treat them as symmetrical, because I would be surprized if a
tsudegji was not in fact a finger, but not so surprized if a degro'u
weren't, even though it might be.

> Symmetrical lujvo are well-established in the language:  "blanyzdani"
> means a house which is blue, or a blue thing which is a house,
> as you will.  On one view, indeed, the asymmetrical lujvo are
> actually elliptical:  asymmetric "degro'u" can be understood
> as "te ke degji je te rotsu".

Yes, I was initially skeptical of many of them that make more sense
on deeper inspection, but I think it makes even more sense to stay
skeptical--especially when the place structures of the gismu are
very different.  Even in the example you gave, I would immediately
expect to be able to live in a blanyzdani, but I would not make
that assumption about a zdanyblanu, even though the latter /might/
be describing the same thing as the former--it might also be describing
something entirely different that is blue in a housely kind of way.

Is there some other subtlety I'm missing, or am I just being more
pedantic than necessary?

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>  <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,