Re: bilingualism

John Cowan wrote:
> The teaching of German was banned for a time in certain communities
> around 1914.
lojbab also mentioned the same thing to me, and I was unaware that that
had taken place.  Obviously a result of a hate-induced mindset, but it's
sad that people actually feel that a country's people, or its language,
are bad simply because the country's government does bad things.

> Most Federal public schools for Indians banned the speaking of the
> children's native language for decades.
I didn't know this either.  But there was no restriction on the language
spoken in the home, only the one spoken at school.  Yes, this is bad,
but not nearly as bad as prohibiting children from even learning their
parents' native tongue.

--Andrew