Re: "will", "le mi..."

At 1997-11-07 11:57, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:

>I have to stick with self-motivation for "will"; the gloss "wants
>to do..." is a loose one, not the definitional to my mind.  To me,
>those passengers may not have enjoyed the idea of eating their fellows,
>and may have been reluctant to do so, but they still did so of their
>own will (motivated by their own hunger).  One's desires are not
>always the same as one's will or intent.  {sezmu'i} is the latter;
>the former is {djica}.

But if the passengers are {sezmu'i} to eat their fellows by their own
internal desire to eat, surely the slaves are {sezmu'i} to work by their
own internal desire to avoid pain? Is there a difference because a
slavemaster is deliberate, and a plane crash isn't? What if the plane
crashed due to a bomb in the hold, could the passengers no longer use
{sezmu'i} because they had been forced by the bomber?

{djica} might be useful, but its x2 covers any event or state, not just
the actions of x1. So {ko zukte le se djica be do} means 'do those events
and states you desire to happen', which isn't quite the same as 'do those
actions you desire to do'. For instance, I might desire the state of
Tibetan independence, but it's not something I can just 'do'.

One solution is to use {djica mukti} (or {djimu'i}), 'desiring type-of
motivation' to express 'want'.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA
http://www.halcyon.com/ashleyb/