Re: Sarcasm

> You are right that it is perfectly normal to use attitudinals
> ironically. Indeed, as with the literal/figurative dichotomy,
> the literal/ironic dichotomy can get pretty hard to make out.

First, I'd like to point out that what we are discussing here
is not "irony" but "sarcasm".  Irony is a semantic thing, and
can be expressed honestly, or with no attitudinals at all.

I think it /is/ important that Lojban not develop dependencies
on particular intonation, gestures, etc., outside the language.
Toward this end, the fact that it is "spoken" more on the net
than face-to-face helps to enforce that.  It is already, even
in English, a very difficult thing to use sarcasm in email or
in other print media, but it /can/ be done if done skillfully
(Dave Barry comes to mind).

As far as metonymy goes, marking it as such when known is a
good thing to be able to do, especially if one is writing about
language or working out the details of a contract, but doing so
in general conversation seems a bit too much to ask for.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lcrocker.html>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,