Re: Linguistics journals LONGISH

>Date:         Thu, 30 Oct 1997 02:36:01 -0500
>From: Logical Language Group <lojbab@ACCESS.DIGEX.NET>
>
>Responding to And:
>
>>> On the other hand, Lojban does provide some fairly enticing area for
>>> linguistic research (which I may pursue when I get my MA out of the
>>> way). Certainly the creation  of a speech community from scratch
>>> would offer some intriguing possibilities for sociolinguists,
>
>>This is true, though Klingon would be a richer lode in that
>>respect.
>
>Yes, but is a speaking community of Klingon truly possible (especially given
>the proprietary nature of the language)?  mark may have opinuons on this.

My name was invoked, guess I have to mumble SOMEthing...

A speaking community of Klingon possible?  I don't know about possible, but
I know we're doing it.  The intellectual property business is a hassle, and
in all probablilty will remain one, but they can't stop us from speaking
it.  I think they gave up that possibility when they published the
dictionary ("OK, here's a book, but you can't think about what you read in
it!  That'll be $12.95 please.")  The speaking community isn't large, but
it's something, and noticeably growing (and probably bigger than that of
Lojban, when it comes to casual speech.  It takes more practice to get
casual facility with Lojban).  I've made phone calls entirely in Klingon,
discussing mundane topics; I've had multi-way, real-time conversations in
Klingon, etc. etc.  (I couldn't QUITE keep up with Nick on the phone in
Lojban...)  Every qep'a' has more and more people who can chat in Klingon.

>>> Yet another research area would be language aquisition - is
>>> Lojban easier to learn as a second language, and (when we eventually
>>> have children learning Lojban) is it possible to aquire it as a
>>> first language, or does it have features which make conscious
>>> learning necessary?
>>
>>Someone has to risk fucking their progeny up first.
>
>Well Shoulson has reported that someone is already doing this woth their
>progeny for Klingon %^)

d'Armond Speers.  My own son knows a word or two (choljaH: Klingon for
ponytail holder, since he likes to wear ponytails and it's a far more
convenient term than "ponytail holder."  It's now the  normal term for the
item in my household), and sometimes I try to remember to talk to him a bit
in one of my various languages.

~mark