Re: knowledge and belief

>If I say:
>
>        la sokrates djuno le du'u la djan klama le zarci kei ko'a
>        Socrates knows that John went to the market by epistemology A.
>
>Does that require me to believe this:
>
>        le du'u la djan klama le zarci cu jetnu ko'a
>        That John goes to the market is true by epistemology A.

I don't think so.

I think that it entails that you know

      le du'u la djan klama le zarci cu jetnu ko'e
      That John goes to the market is true by epistemology B.

where B is some indication of "by authority of Socrates", whatever
the particular means you have in order to make the claim that Socrates
knows about John.

For example, Galileo knows that a feather and a cannonball fall at the
same rate, by epistemology of experimnentation at Pisa.  I know that
a feather and a cannonball fall at the same rate, by epistemology of
cultural legend about Galileo's experiment at the leaning tower.  But I
cannot claim that >I< know by the experimentation directly since I did
not do or observe any such experiment.

lojbab
----