mark on ko`a

mark:
> People have been overly fond of using "ko'a" as a generic
> he/she/it.  That's NOT what it is.  It is a specific he/she/it that only
> makes sense *once it's bound*.

In my current usage (unposted), I've been using {ko`a bi`u} for first
reference to ko`a, when ko`a is not assigned reference by goi. One
usefyl aspect of this usage (among others) is that it makes
referent-tracking easy - you just use "ko`a" whenever you want to
refer to the referent - but you don't have to add on an extra goi
phrase. (I've been using {ko`a bi`u poi ke`a broda} as an indefinite,
veridical counterpart to {le broda} and {da voi ke`a broda} and
{ko`a bi`u voi ke`a broda}.)

--and