Re: Ashley

At 1998-01-08 21:54, Logical Language Group wrote:

>I am curious about Ashley's choice of cecmu for the translation of his
>name.  I happened to be reading in the Oxford Encycl. of the English
>Language, and in the section on the history of the language they mentioned
>that "Stanley" descends from Stan-ley +> Stone-lea (stone-field).  This
>would suggest to me that Ashley would come from a similar etymology meaning
>ash-field, which in turn suggests foldi instead of cecmu.

I simply looked up the name in the 'Some first names' section of my
dictionary (Chambers of Cambridge, 1988):

Ashley, Ashleigh ash'li, m. and f. (Gmc.) from the surname derived from
the common place name, meaning ash wood.

The entry for 'Stanley' simply says it's from a place-name. 'Ash wood'
seems more credible than 'ash field' if only because fields don't
normally have trees in them - perhaps similar names (surnames) are
'Oakley' and 'Thornley', making a nice Kiplingesque arboreal triad.

--
fe'oca'emi'e tricrfraksi zeicecmu .iji'a ca'emi'e .aclin.