Re: Ashley

At 1998-01-08 23:35, Logical Language Group wrote:

>But this has no bearing on the Lojban, it turns out, because the definition
>of foldi (field) is broad enough such that tricyfoldi (ricfoi) was an early
>lujvo for "forest/wood".    There are enough plausible other meanings for
>tricycecmu, generally having to do with human communities in the woods or
>even
>fantasy humanoid communities in trees, that I would not think first of
>"wood" or "forest" as a translation.

Hm. It depends on whether "cecmu" has particularly human connotations. My
reading of its entry in the gismu list was that it would equally well
apply to school (of fish), pride (of lions) or any group of organisms in
contact with each other.

In any case, "community of trees" seems to me a deeper understanding of a
forest than some variation on "place where trees are", or "broad uniform
expanse of trees" as "foldi" seems to suggest. I might still use "ricfoi"
in this last sense, but "ricycem" typically, specifically to imply the
first.

ricycem
  wood/forest c1 c2=t1 t2

--
fe'oca'emi'e tricrfraksi zeicecmu .iji'a ca'emi'e .aclin.