Re: knowledge & belief

I will confirm that I think that the intended meaning of djuno is closer to
Steve's definition 1 than any other, though definition 2 will equally well
cover most usages of djuno so far because most English usage is ambiguous
between those two.

I note in particular that definition 1 refers to "clarity or certainty".
I think that the situations we are arguing about where truth is debatable
between speaker and x1 of djuno, will be examples of "clarity" more often
than certainty.

The choice of words to describe the x4 place was constrained by the 160
column limit.  "epistemology" was the shoirtest thing we came up with that
conveyed the broadest sense of "how we know what we know".  Its use in the
Lojban definition is clearly not a mass noun, and thus "an epistemology"
has the relationship to "epistemology" that "a science" has to "science".

While it might be nice to include all 4 of Steve's suggestions in the
x4 definition, we are limited by the fixed length of the definition space.
In general, where we had multiple words for oblique places, they were stuck
into the space beyond column 160, which is where the note about words usable
for epistemology is located.

BTW, the definition in the Webster's New World (which is my standard for
Lojban work because the definitions fit my style of writing and comparing
words) that I gfind most applicabel to djuno is
"2, to be aware of cognizant of; have perceived or learned (ro know that one
is loved)"  I like this definition because it offers multiple near-synonyms
aware of, cognizant of, have perceived, have learned and clearly implies
that there are many ways to come into knowledge of something.

The definition of epistemology given, BTW is "the study or theory of the origin,
nature, methods, and limits of knowledge". criteria, schema, and standards are
all kidns of methods of knowledge that could constitute part or all of
an epistemology (a method of knowing or a theory of methods of knowing).

lojbab
----