Re: Summary so far on DJUNO

At 03:07 PM 1/23/98 GMT+0, you wrote:
>Rob Zook:
>> >Either way, this point is
>> >a refinement of my more general point, which is that DJUNO means
>> >"know" AND has a metaphysics place.
>>
>> I think we lose something here if we start using metaphysics and
>> epistemology interchangibly. The gismu list calls the x4 place
>> the epistemology. Pray, let us stick to that, things are confused
>> enough as it is.
>
>The point of calling it a metaphysics place is that we have
>established in this discussion that "epistemology" is a confusing
>label for the intended sumti meaning, and that "metaphysics" is
>clearer.

A cannot agree with that evaluation. I certainly don't remember
such a consensus, and I certainly don't agree that metaphysics
seems clearer. In fact, I can only remember you using the term,
although I have a vague impression of one other mentioning it.
That seems far short of a consensus to me.

djuno:
x1 knows fact(s) x2 (du'u) about subject x3 by epistemology x4

x1 - Who knows?
x2 - Knows what?
x3 - In what domain?
x4 - By what does one know x2?

Epistemology - "the study or a theory of the nature and grounds of
knowledge especially with reference to its limits and validity"

That seems like exactly what the x4 represents, the grounds for
someones claim of knowledge.

Metaphysics means "the system of principles underlying a particular
study or subject". More inclusive, while epistemology refers
_specifically_ to that which underlies knowledge.

Rob Z.
Were it offered to my choice, I should have no objection
to a repetition of the same life from its beginning, only
asking the advantages authors have in a second edition to
correct some faults in the first.
-- Ben Franklin