Re: perversity squared

I hadn't thought of the baseline/usage schedule of Lojban in quite the =
terms Lojbab=20
is talking about before.  The idea reminds me of an optimization =
technique called
simulated annealing.  You have one way of optimizing a thing (logical =
analysis and=20
argumentation) that works for a while but tends to get stuck in a dead =
end;=20
that's when you kick in another method that shakes things up some =
(giving users
latitude to evolve the language in a more usable direction), then you go =
back to
the first method and apply it some more (logical reanalysis of what the =
users did
with the language)  Going back and forth between the two can give you =
better
results, fater than what you would have acheived with either method =
alone.

>Thus I envision that people will memorize the gismu themselves, along =
with
>keywords and/or other synonyms that will give them a gestalt sense of =
the
>meaning.  In many cases they will also remember the number of places or =
at
>least the roles of some of the places - not all, and not with semantic
>precision.

If people do things the way you suggest, I bet it will lead to =
significant regularization of the gismu places. =20

>If people always or usually add a BAI tagged place to a gismu, that =
place
>should be added without requiring the BAI. =20

That might depend on why they use BAI.  I have a tendency to use "bau", =
for example, even with gismu that already have a language place, because =
I have "bau la lojban" stuck in my head as a set phrase, and it's easier =
to stick it on to a predication using "tavla" than to remember to use =
"fu" or topsi-turvify the sentence to bring the x5 into a more =
accessible place.

Even with a BAI tag that's not redundant, it may be that it's better off =
as a BAI tag than as a proper
place, if there are already twenty-leven places and the new place woudl =
be lost in a sea of zo'e's
and bei's without the BAI.

I'd say, if the gismu place structures are to be set by usage, then we =
could assume that if something should be a place, it'll become a place, =
and if something gets added a lot with BAI, it should stay that way.

co'o mi'e kris