Re: Summary so far on DJUNO

At 08:43 PM 2/17/98 -0300, Jorge J. Llamb=EDas wrote:
>Rob:
>>One can most definitely apply subjectivity to language. Every single
>>language on this planet has it's own cultural relativisms imbedded in it.
>>For example, words like "gestault" have no English translation, one can
>>come close to gestault by translating it as "wholeness" but
>>"wholeness" !=3D3D "gestault".
>
>"Gestalt" is an English word, according to my dictionary: a structure,
>configuration, or pattern of physical, biological, or psychological
>phenomena so integrated as to constitute a functional unit with
>properties not derivable by summation of its parts.
>
>Even if there were no such word in English, we can still explain its
>meaning, can't we?

Gestalt occurs in your dictionary precisely because no "English"
word could take it's place. It's actually a German word we adopted
into common usage not too long ago (last 50-70 years, I forget exactly
when).

All cultures have some eclectic words like that when their language
cannot express a particular idea.

Rob Z.
"...That no government, so called, can reasonably be
trusted for a moment, or reasonably be supposed to have=20
honest purposes in view, any longer than it depends wholly=20
upon voluntary support."
--- Lysander Spooner,=20
    No Treason: the Constitution of No Authority