Re: Translation Exercise (from ConLang)

> Two-bob is 2 times a twelfth of a British pound, if I remember my old
> money  correctly.  I would choose a lujvo 'quotient-12-British-dollar' for
> the money.

I'm afraid you don't.  A bob is a shilling, which is one twentieth of an old
pound.  Two-bob is thus a tenth of a pound, the closest approximation now
being 10p.

> .i e'o do canja le frinyrelpavritru'u beli re sicni tezu'e lenu te vecnu
> lo trene pikta

Having said that, it is obvious from the conversation that in fact the
setting of the conversation is England, around 100 years ago (it's a long
time since a train ticket cost less than 10p :-), so the translation should
either preserve completely the millieu and the terminology in some way, or
relocate the whole thing into Lojbanistan, complete with fictitious currency
and putative cost of a train ticket (as in the original attempt).

Cheers,

Matthew