le cpiste

mu'igi mi co'a djuno le zmadu .a'u la lojban. lenu tcidu fi le manri =
cusku
.e le jboste gi mi jdice lenu krefu troci lenu .a'i finti so'u cipni =
cmene
lenu cusku fo la lojban. .i mu'igi .o'anai jimte lenu mi djuno fi la
lojban. .ije lenu ciska bau la lojban. ca'o se masno gi mi cusku le ve
vimcu notci bau le glibau

1. le xuncpi _Cardinalis cardinalis_

Of all the birds that could be called "red-bird", I think the Northern
Cardinal is one of the best choices.  It's a very common and distinctive
North American bird, and it would be useful to have a more convenient =
name
than "cipnrkardinali".  To preserve neutrality, other "colorful" bird =
names
could be reserved for birds of other continents, such as:

2. le xekcpi _Turdus merula_

There are many black birds, but not all of them can be called =
"blackbirds".
The bird known in English as the Blackbird, a kind of thrush, is common
across Europe and parts of Asia.

3. le zgicpi _Mimus polyglottos_

"Mimic" is an incomplete characterization of the expressive range of the
Northern Mockingbird; I think that "music-bird" is a more poetic name.
However, I'm still a bit hesitant to give this name to the mockingbird,
since there are many other musical birds that could just as easily be =
given
this name.  (The Nightingale, _Luscinia megarhynchos_, and the Musician
Wren, _Cyphorhinus arada_, come to mind.)

4. le vrucpi _Quiscalus_

"Noise-bird" is an appropriate characterization of the grackles, such as
the Great-tailed Grackle (_Q. mexicanus_) and the Common Grackle (_Q.
quiscula_).  The most musical song of the Great-tailed Grackle reminds me
of the "red alert" signal in an early episode of Star Trek.

5. le bracpi _Struthio camelus_

"Big-bird" is an obvious name for the Ostrich, the largest bird in the
world.

6. le ctecpi (Strigiformes)

"Night-bird" is an obvious name for the nocturnal owls and nightjars.

Please correct my Lojban usage where necessary, since I'm still learning
the language.

la 'rmyn.