Re: kissing (was: Re: Summary so far on DJUNO

>I'm no opponent of unmarked metaphor, but when establishing
>word-meaning we do need to distinguish between core/literal meaning
>and peripheral/meaphorical meaning.

Whereas I am a literalist (especially LOjbanically) and I would rather see
metaphorical extensiuons marked in Lojban.  Jorge cam up with a construal of
his metaphorical extensions that fit the place structures, but I think that
they are a big stretch.

While it may not suit people's poetic fancy, I see no need to have many ways
to say the same thing unless those alternate ways actually convey different
informations about the relationship.  Using klama instead of binxo to
express a color change does not convey anything more than binxo does - the
extra places are filled in with obvious and contentless values  that were
clearly not the reason why klama was chosen for the examples (of course
Jorge chose the examples not to actually convey information about
wall colors but to talk about the language, but that is beside the point %^).

I opine (jinvi gi'e krici gi'e na djuno gi'e na birti) that metaphorical
extension is a BAD THING (tm) that most people atracted to the ideas
behind LOjban will find unattractive in its (potential) use.

lojbab