I few quickies

   Date:         Wed, 4 Sep 1991 16:43:24 -0700
   From: jimc%MATH.UCLA.EDU@cuvmb.cc.columbia.edu
   > First off, have we got a good way to say "light" (not in weight)?
   I've been using se gusni (light x1 illuminates target x2 (converted)
   source x3).
I hate that.  You really need a thesaurus to get through the gismu list.

   > Also, the gismu {fendi} is defined as "divide/partition...into...by
   > method...."  Here, we run into the ambiguity of using English as the
   > metalanguage:  If I pour water into two sides of a vessel separated by a
   > barrier, am *I* the one who "divides" the water into two parts, or is it
   > the partition?

   In Old Loglan the policy was that [most] words were non-transitive, and
   to get transitive meanings you were supposed to make a lujvo.  In
   today's vocabulary, zukte (x1 does x2 purpose x3) or rinka (x1 causes
   x2 condition x3) are suitable main words for the lujvo, depending on
   the meaning.  Example:

   fedyzu'e - fendu zukte - image of a person forcing himself into a crowd
           to split it into parts.

I'm not positive I follow all this, or the ensuing discussion.  It's
particularly difficult since even deciding for or against transitivity
doesn't help.  F'rinstance:  let's say we decide that {le fendi} is the
partition between {le te fendi}, not the actor who did the dividing.  This
is a reasonable definition, since getting to the partition from the actor
would be tough.  Now, what might we say to {fendr'ia} == fendi rinka?
Using Nick's usual reading of {-ri'a} to transitivize a predicate, a la
Esperanto "-ig", we get "divide-cause."  Now.  If I divide water on two
sides of a partition, have I "divide-cause"d the water, or the partition?
I caused one to be divided, and one to divide.  Would the former be
{selfendri'a} and the latter {fendri'a}?  Hmmm.  Actually, that sounds
pretty good.

Oh, well.  I'll probably post the first part of the translation I needed
this for today, so you can all work on it in context.

~mark