Re: states/provinces/counties

Edmund Grimley-Evans :
> I shouldn't waste much time inventing Lojban-names for the British
> counties. Many of the English names are completely unknown even to the
> people who live in them! And many of them have no long tradition.
> Very few British counties have their own names in Esperanto, and only
> one of them has a name in French. (I'm not going to tell you which,
> guess!)

I know no Briton who doesn't know which county they live in (unless they
live in London whose country status was abolished by the Thatcher junta
who resented living in a city controlled by democratically elected
left-wingers).

If one had to name but a single county, it really ought to be Cornwall.

Incidentally, I would prefer for London the cmene /london/ rather than
/landn/. As Bruce Gilson has pointed out, preservation of phonology
should be balanced against preservation of orthography. What about
the Thames?

---
And.

ps Anyone called Featherstonehaugh is not going to take kindly to being
rendered fancos. On the other hand, Mr Cockburn might be agreeable.