"New York"

Bruce writes:

>              I would say that if it is common to translate the name in
>some languages, you should translate it into Lojban (hence the "New" of
>New York and New Orleans, Prince Edward Island, etc.) If it is never
>translated (like Los Angeles, Bethlehem, etc.) then simply Lojbanbize the
>pronounciation.

Yeah, but who decides?  Saying "if it's usually translated" is a wonderful
way to ask for trouble.  Yeah, "New" is translated for Spanish-speakers,
but Hebrew-speakers (and if I understand Ivan correctly,
Bulgarian-speakers) talk about /niu iork/.  Some speak of "Co^te d'Ivoire",
others of "The Ivory Coast".  So which is "common" to translate?

~mark