Names modified by adjectives

Bruce writes:

>You mean in Lojban you can't modify a proper name by a Lojban adjective? You
>can't talk about "the first Elizabeth" or "the most populous Springfield in
>the United States"? This seems to be a weakness of the language if so.

Watch it.  What is a Lojban "adjective"?  Lojban has no adjectives.  The
part of speech doesn't apply.  Lojban has brivla, which may wind up getting
used, in sumti made from tanru, after a fashion reminiscient of adjectives,
but they're not adjectives.  They are brivla.  The fact that bothers you is
that you can't build a tanru using a cmene.  Well, I suppose you can, using
{me}, maybe something like {la stici mela .oranj.}, but that's way hideous.

You can talk about "The first Elizabeth", using stuff like relative
clauses {la .eLIZabet. poi pamoi}, but it doesn't appear to be part of the
*name* to me.  That is, if I'm talking about someone named "First
Elizabeth" (like "West Orange", wherein I'm not really concerned that it's
"Orange which is West"---that might be another town named Orange in a state
west of here), you can't make a tanru out of the cmene, or otherwise glue
in a brivla as part of the name.

~mark