RE: "New York"

Jim writes

>I was annoyed back when China decided that English-speakers were
>henceforth to write the name of their capital as Beijing instead of
>Peking.  I figured it was our (the anglophones') business what we
>called stuff.  For Lojban, Eo, and Voksigid --- I claim we can
>translate to our hearts' content and make names conform to the
>language.  If even London can get transformed to Londres, why not
>everything?

Nonsense! This is a carry over from the Imperial view that English
speakers had of the world in the 19th Century - if someone does not
understand, just talk louder. Germans do not know where Munich is,
(Mu:nchen) nor do Italians recognise Leghorn (Livorno). Scots do not
recognise Edinburgh (non-USAns must read this in USAn), USAns do not
recognise Pittsbr@. It goes further - is my former country South
Africa or Azania, is my present country New Zealand or Aotearoa?

Chris Handley                                     chandley@otago.ac.nz
Dept of Computer Science                       Ph     (+64) 3-479-8499
University of Otago                           Fax     (+64) 3-479-8577
Dunedin, NZ