"New Zealand"

Chris Handley <CHandley%GANDALF.OTAGO.AC.NZ@CUVMB.COLUMBIA.EDU> writes:

>is my present country New Zealand or Aotearoa?

When Chris sings his current country's national anthem, it is certain to me
that he sings "God Defend New Zealand." When a Maori sings the words in his
own language to the same tune, he ends with the word "Aotearoa." So obviously
it is both, since citizens of the country call it both. Now the further ques-
tion is, what should I call it if I'm speaking another language. Now it is
clear that if I'm speaking French, I call it Nouvelle Ze'lande -- or nobody
who speaks French understands me. If I, speaking English, refer to Junggwo,
nobody understands me as talking about China. In Lojban, of course the Lojbanis
have a right to call New Zealand anything they choose. But I feel that the
example of the French -- translate "New" but render "Zealand" as best they
can in their own language -- is appropriate.

                                                      Bruce