Re: Animal {gismu}

> Date:          Mon, 21 Jun 1993 18:23:31 -0400
> From:          John Cowan <cowan%SNARK.THYRSUS.COM@FINHUTC.hut.fi>
> Subject:       Animal {gismu}

> PROPOSAL:  I suggest that we need >high-quality< lujvo, or else new gismu,
> for the following kinds of animals right away.  Entries for them
> appear in the tree below, with "#nnnn" in place of a gismu.
>
>         1) Crustacea (lobsters, shrimp): existing lujvo are shell-spider
>         (but all arthropods have shells) and claw-spider, extending "spider"
>         to mean "any non-Insecta in Arthropoda".
>
>         2) Orthoptera (grasshoppers, locusts, crickets): no existing lujvo
>         that I know of.  These insects are major pests and as such
 economically
>         important in many agricultural regions.
>
>         3) Coleoptera (beetles): no existing lujvo that I know of.  Perhaps
>         beetles are just the default kind of insect (most insect, indeed most
>         animal, species are beetles).
>
>         4) Cetacea (whales, dolphins): the usual lujvo is mammal-fish or
>         fish-mammal, which I consider to be a dreadful submission to
>         folk taxonomy.
>
>         5) Chiroptera (bats): the usual lujvo are things like flying-mouse and
>         bird-mammal, which I think are even worse than fish-mammal.
>
> Of course there are lots of animals which aren't included under any of
> these forms, but they tend to be obscure critters that can be handled
> with le'avla.
>
> Comments?

  I suggest new gismu at least when there is no existing gismu
  for the next higher level in the heirarchy. Under no
  circumstances should a lone gismu be used at two levels,
  i.e. #0001 cannot be derived from jukni.

> Invertebrata:Mollusca #0006

  I'd add this group here because it contains quite many
  economically important animals from oysters to squids.

    #0006 : new gismu

    #0001 : new gismu

    #0002 : new gismu (or lujvo derived from cinki:
                          ? cakcinki , jarcinki )

    #0003 : new gismu ((or lujvo derived from cinki: ??? pipcinki ))
                      (I can't make a satisfactory lujvo)

    #0004 : new gismu / lujvo:  ? xasymabru , jaurmabru
            (NB. xasymabru doesn't exactly fit Amazonian
                 river dolphins but I don't think a single
                 minor exception matters very much.)

    #0005 : lujvo:  ? na'irmabru , voirmabru
            (bats are hardly important enough to rate a gismu)

    It isn't too easy to make satisfactory 2-component lujvo
    for groups of animals, i.e. lujvo which are both reasonably
    understandable and avoid most erroneous connotations -
    but longer ones are unwieldy and we can't have gismu
    for everything.

    co'o mi'e veion

 Veijo Vilva       vilva@viikki21.helsinki.fi