Re: Eaton: You asked for it ...

la nitcion cusku di'e

> Nice to see Jorge left the hardest ones for me :)

mi na djica le nu lebna le pluka do

> #confessional            (S) confesionario
>
> Before we can give this a meaningful equivalent, we need a word for "confess"
> or "admit". The Shoulson line would be to just use {xusra}, but if you leave
> out the {se xusra}, that doesn't tell you much.  {zugyxu'a}, perhaps, for
> "confess" (you both assert it and feel guilty (zungi) about it). For "admit",
> maybe something more like {bilga tugni} or {se bapli tugni}

An admission doesn't have to be forced, or mandatory.

tugbi'o (tugni binxo)   b1 (b2=t1) b3 t2 t3 t4
x1 comes to agree (admits) under conds x2, with (to) x3 that x4 is true about x5

> #sulk                    (F) bouder      (G) schmollen   (S) estar mohino
>
> sivni badri smaji

I think just {sivdri} (sivni badri) will do. {smaji} doesn't seem to have much
to do with it.

> #intonation              (S) entonacio'n (G) Anstimmen
>
> tonga tadji

a method for being a tone? {le tonga} probably serves in some cases.
I don't have a better suggestion.

> #crossroad(s) (see below)(F) carrefour   (G) Scheideweg  (S) encrucijada
>
> dargu forca (I think)

I'd say:

dagterkruca (dargu te kruca)

> #crossroad               (F) traverse    (G) Querstrasse (S) calle transversal
>
> klajyterkruca

It should be a {klaji}, the previous one is the {terkruca}.

kucklaji (kruca klaji)

> #discouragement          (G) Entmutigung (S) desaliento
>
> na'e mukti zukte , but the place structure is going to look funny: z1 z2
> m1 m2 m3, when we'd like m3 to be x2. Maybe na'e te mukti zukte: z1 z2 m3
> m2 m1 --- X does Y to encourage Z to do W, with Z hoping to get V out of it.

toltermu'i (to'e te mukti) x1 is discouraged to take action x2 by event x3

tolmu'i  x1 is a dicouragment for action x2 to be taken by x3

toltermu'i[r?]gau  x1 discourages x2 to take action x3 by x1 taking action x4

> #[this also could use an entry for the Englishism, possibly only Americanism,
> #of "coat-tail effect" for the political effect of a popular party leader
> #causing lesser-knowns of the same party to win by aura-extension or whatever
> #you wanna call it]
>
> Hm. The expression I'm thinking of has at least six gismu, so I'll leave this.

pevycpu (pe'a lacpu)

> #optimistic, optimist    (F) optimiste   (S) optimista
>
> pacna pensi

How does that one work? Think hopefully?

xagbavkri  (xamgu balvi krici)

> #mawkish                 (F) doucereux, mielleux (G) empfindsam
> #                        (S) almibarado, meloso
>
> maldukcinmo

I don't know what "mawkish" means, but the French and Spanish words
have nothing to do with {dunku}. Something like sweet-talking, or
sweet-acting. I suppose I shouldn't even mention {titla} for this :)

> #hen coop, chicken coop  (F) poulailler  (S) gallinero
> #[how about "cooped up"]
>
> jipci zdani.

I had thought of this, but isn't that a nest?

> #idealist                (S) idealista
>
> sidbo tarti, though that's just a first guess.

pranysadkri (prane snada krici)

> #sheepish                (F) penaud      (G) bescha:mt
> #                        (S) avergonzado, cortado
>
> The German means "ashamed", the French --- "crestfallen". {burna tarti}, I
> suppose. Btw, shouldn't "ashamed" be {zungi burna}?

Plain {burna} seems ok.

> Hope these stimulate some discussion. I *was* supposed to get work done
> today, you know...

oiro'a go'i ra'o

co'o mi'e xorxes