Re: Lean Lujvo and fat gismu

mi'e .djan. .i la xorxes. cusku di'e

> > 1)      mi klama fi le frasygu'e
> >         I come from France
> >
> > 2)      mi cliva le frasygu'e
> >         I leave France.
> >

> Just to add some confusion here.
>
>         mi ca cliva le frasygu'e
>
> Does this mean that I'm leaving France right now?

In the sense that you are now crossing the border, not necessarily.  In
the sense that you are now engaged in a journey that began in France, yes.
You might have already crossed the border or you might not yet have reached it.

>         mi ca klama fi le frasygu'e
>
>         mi ca ba'o cliva le frasygu'e
>
> Are these two compatible?
>
> If they are, then {cliva} doesn't seem to be equivalent to {klama be zi'o}.
>
> If they aren't, then it seems wrong to translate {cliva} as "leave".

They are compatible if you accept that the {nu klama} isn't necessarily
coterminous with the {nu cliva}.  You might be said to have ceased leaving
before you have arrived at your (implied by "klama") destination.
There can be no firm answer to such a question: it is a variant of the
"heap" paradox.

--
John Cowan              sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
                e'osai ko sarji la lojban.