Re: Lean Lujvo and fat gismu

mi'e .djan. .i la xorxes. cusku di'e

> What I would say is a waste of gismu is to have the vehicle place, which
> makes them useless to say, for example, that the Moon travels around the
> Earth, unless it's in some mythological carriage,

It occurred to me this morning that this case is a red herring.  The Moon
does not {klama} around the Earth, nor {litru} around it; what it really
does is to {mluni} around it.  Check the place structure:  "mluni" is both
the noun "satellite" and the verb "to orbit" (unless the orbitee is a star,
in which case "plini" is more appropriate).

> or that a body travels
> with constant velocity if no force is applied to it, or that a bullet
> takes 3 seconds in going from A to B, and things like that. In these cases
> you do need some heavy zi'oing. The best I could come up with for this
> sort of thing is {sezmu'u}, but this is very unsatisfactory.

I agree that "sezmu'u" won't do.  Technically, all such ballistic motions
are also orbits, so "mluni fo A bi'o B" would work, but I admit that this
usage is a bit strained.  I don't know the answer.  Perhaps "farlu" is best;
it does not involve a means.  "sezmu'u" sounds more like "locomote": it is
related to "klama".

--
John Cowan              sharing account <lojbab@access.digex.net> for now
                e'osai ko sarji la lojban.